How do I know Thicker Than Blood is the first community edited, fiction novel, released under a Creative Commons licence?
- First I asked the CC community.
- Then I asked my LUG.
- Then I was lucky enough to ask Slashdot. I think that pretty much sealed it.
I'm trying to do some real due diligence here and not rob anyone of their own deserved publicity. Frankly I'm a little shocked nobody has done it before 5/08. I will totally step back as the first if somebody shows me a book that.
- Uses a CC license - Is under some CC license.
- Is community edited - Is community edited (has at least three editors each contributing the number of chapters * 2 fixes.)
- Is released - Has gone stable with a post community edited ISBN.
- Is fiction - Non fiction has a totally different dynamic.
- Is a novel - Not a collection or a script.
- Is actually available someplace.
As far as I can tell it shouldn't matter if it was collaboratively written or not.
Slashdot.org complete (ISBN) + CC + "community edited" + fiction + novel trial by fire. Noteworthy runners up.
- http://www.starwreck.com/ - movie (and script?) only. No novel. CC
- http://www.addventure.com/ - collaborative multi novel. Not CC.
- http://www.2076book.com/ - Not community edited.
- http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm Not community edited.
- http://www.kuro5hin.org/prime-intellect/ Not CC, no ISBN.
- http://www.stealsaga.net/ - little collaboration, graphical novel, no ISBN.
- http://www.devilbunnies.org/ - Collaboratively written eclectic story, no CC.
- http://www.nanowrimo.org/ - site of writing contest. Google search on "nanowrimo Creative Commons ISBN" and "nanowrimo Creative Commons "community edited" turns up nothing obvious.
- http://www.amazon.com/Big-One-Stuart-Slade/dp/1430304952/ - Collaboratively written, not really edited, not CC.
- http://www.amazon.com/Big-One-Stuart-Slade/dp/1430304952/ - Not CC, not sure if it was edited by the community either.
- http://zero.newassignment.net/tags/opensourcenovel_net - Failed attempt at the same thing.
I didn't list non-fiction here, because frankly I don't think they need the help like fiction does. :) Half these authors actually popped up on Slashdot to say congrats. Please check them out.